An effective media relations campaign should increase awareness and understanding for your company’s product or service. Follow these tips to ensure a successful campaign.
- Make sure your news is newsworthy. Does it affect many people? Is it unique and interesting?
- Identify the key messages, including who, what, where, when, why and how.
- Identify the appropriate spokesperson to convey your message.
- Inform your staff.
- Be aware of news release submission guidelines and follow them.
- Explain why the publication should cover your story. Many times, this helps the reporter sell your story to the editor.
- Send background information about your company and its products and services. This cuts down on the reporter’s research.
- Be prepared for a media interview.
- Respect reporters’ deadlines. Return all calls promptly and accommodate as much as possible.
- Don’t expect every announcement to get coverage.
Clients love Jason’s passion, candor, and commitment as well as the team he has formed at Axia Public Relations. He’s advised some of America’s most admired brands, including American Airlines, Dave & Buster’s, Hilton, HP, Pizza Hut, and Verizon. He is an Emmy Award-winning, accredited public relations practitioner, speaker, author, and entrepreneur and earned his certification in inbound marketing. He founded the PR firm in July 2002.