How to create an effective, integrated PR campaign
Apple’s “tap and go” technology offered through the Apple Pay platform uses advanced payment security developed by MasterCard. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus were the first devices to include capabilities for this technology. With this launch, the MasterCard public relations team, working in collaboration with a PR agency, was eager to push MasterCard ahead of competitors and position the company as a leader in contactless payment safety and drive consumer use of the technology.
To achieve these goals, the team used a variety of tactics, including:
- Creating digital press kits crafted to reaffirm MasterCard’s contactless payment leadership.
- Sending executives to strategic cities in correlation with Apple Pay announcements.
- Offering “Priceless Surprises,” including cupcakes delivered to iPhone buyers. This campaign component continues to live on and has generated nearly 100,000 surprises to date.
- Running television ads for Apple Pay during the World Series.
By utilizing a strategic campaign, MasterCard brought attention to this new service, a key differentiator for the company from its competitors. MasterCard used a multi-faceted approach, which incorporated traditional PR tactics, social media, guerilla marketing and advertising.
As a result of the team’s integrated efforts, MasterCard achieved:
- Dominance in share of voice over competitors during launch week and for several weeks following.
- More than 900,000 organic impressions and 17,000 engagements on social media.
- Nearly 100 interviews with executives about the initiative (50 within the first week!).
- One million MasterCard activations within 72 hours of Apple Pay’s availability.
MasterCard has been a leading force in creating the world’s largest mobile payment system, and as a result, MasterCard, together with its PR agency, won a PRSA Silver Anvil Award for the campaign. Thank you MasterCard for providing a great example of an innovative campaign that continues to impress!
If you’re looking for integrated PR campaigns to showcase your financial products or services, Axia Public Relations can help. Download Axia’s free e-book Maximizing Your Public Relations Investment to learn how to use PR to influence target markets and optimize your media coverage.
Julie Miller is a marketing and communications professional with more than seven years of experience in the industry. She specializes in technology, digital marketing and communications. Julie has worked for Axia Public Relations since November 2015. Connect with Axia on Twitter @axiapr or tell us what you think in the comments below.
Featured image credit: Creative Commons