- Audiences Turning to Other Content During Height of Writers’ Strike
- Snapchat is Less Like Social Media and More like a Phone
- 60-Second Close: Public Relations is Driven By Personal Connections and Trust
Audio: Listen to this article.
1. Audiences Turned to Other Content During Writers’ Strike
- Podcasts, books, and other alternative media forms surged in consumption during the writers’ strike.
- Podcasts saw almost a 2.5x increase since the beginning of the protests. The uptick of alternative media may present a window of opportunity to reach an audience with a broader reach than mainstream television.
- The question is: Why are audiences turning to older media and completed shows? One possible explanation is that consumers want known media content they can consume in full.
2. Snapchat is Less Like Social Media and More like a Phone
- Snapchat reaches 90% of the 13- to 24-year-old population. Unlike other social media platforms, Snapchatters use the app more for communication than entertainment. The messaging-centric application focuses primarily on connecting users in short bursts rather than scrolling through endless updates.
- More than 5 million consumers subscribe to Snapchat+, an upgraded version of the messaging app. For $4 per month, Snapchat+ provides 23 additional features.
- Snapchat+ enables users to treat the app as a phone to connect, not a social platform to post broad updates. This unique drive speaks to users’ need to connect rather than just scrolling and liking people’s social media posts.
3. 60-Second Close: Public Relations is Driven By Personal Connections and Trust
- Good PR makes a personal connection. The success of Snapchat+ shows consumers crave personal and authentic connections. Creating personal connections in PR means establishing awareness, understanding, connection, and trust.
- Building trust with your audience is paramount for effective PR. The effects of the Hollywood writers’ strike show the audience wants to see follow through. Therefore, connecting with the audience demands reliability and consistency.
- Axia understands the nuances of connecting with an audience through trust and follow-through. Connect to learn how to put Axia’s PR services to work for your organization.
Photo by Sanket Mishra from Pexels