November 9, 2021
Learn how to improve media relations with guest Ashley Billings and show host Jason Mudd.
Our episode guest is Ashley Billings, Media Relations Consultant at Axia. Ashley is an award-winning ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC-affiliate TV news reporter in California, Jacksonville, and D.C. Clients love her ability to translate PR messages into TV news stories. She joined Axia in June 2018.
Five things you’ll learn from this episode:
- How to get your company’s news on the news
- The value of honesty when building relationships with reporters
- Why you should be pitching visual stories
- The importance of presentation as an interviewee
- How interesting stories mix qualitative and quantitative data
- “It helps when the PR professional pitches something very specific – something that the rest of the newsroom doesn't know about.” — @ashleybillings
- “It loses the impact of being news if everyone knows about it.” — @jasonmudd9
- “Visuals are very important. Any time a PR firm can share pictures or video, that’s an extra thing to ensure that their story gets on TV.” — @ashleybillings
- “If you email everybody, you’re really emailing nobody.” — @jasonmudd9
If you enjoyed this episode, would you please share it with others and leave us a review?
About Ashley Billings
Our episode guest is Ashley Billings, Media Relations Consultant at Axia. Ashley is an award-winning ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC-affiliate TV news reporter in California, Jacksonville, and D.C. Clients love her ability to translate PR messages into TV news stories. She joined Axia in June 2018. A born storyteller, Ashley earned media coverage on all five Orlando TV stations and the two largest Orlando newspapers for her client’s grand reopening.
Guest’s contact info and resources:
- Daybook: a list of topics that a newsroom wants to see covered
- Media Relations e-book
- Meet the media webinar
- On Top of PR is produced by Axia Public Relations, named by Forbes as one of America’s Best PR Agencies. Axia is an expert PR firm for national brands.
- On Top of PR is sponsored by ReviewMaxer, the platform for monitoring, improving, and promoting online customer reviews.
- Burrelles has a special offer for On Top of PR fans. Check it out at burrelles.com/ontopofpr.
About your host Jason Mudd
On Top of PR host, Jason Mudd, is a trusted adviser and dynamic strategist for some of America’s most admired brands and fastest-growing companies. Since 1994, he’s worked with American Airlines, Budweiser, Dave & Buster’s, H&R Block, Hilton, HP, Miller Lite, New York Life, Pizza Hut, Southern Comfort, and Verizon. He founded Axia Public Relations in July 2002. Forbes named Axia as one of America’s Best PR Agencies.
Find more On Top of PR episodes on: