Don’t overlook this vital PR and marketing tool
Every company website has one: that ubiquitous frequently asked questions (FAQ) page. You may have wondered if customers are actually getting value from this content or if the page is just taking up space. Using public relations tools, there are ways to make your FAQ page work for you.
Many times, companies allow their FAQ pages to become the equivalent of an online miscellaneous folder – a place for all the information that doesn’t fit anywhere else. Other businesses may use FAQs as an attempt to explain away the inadequacies of their products. Instead, your company should put in a little effort, think strategically and make this page boost your sales and enhance your brand.
Why your FAQ page is important
- It improves your online marketing and public engagement. You must first talk to customers and prospects to know what they want. Then you can better tailor your messages to meet their needs.
- Customers have come to expect FAQs as a link they can use to get a quick overview of your company.
- Having the right questions and answers can help customers in the consideration stage and help drive sales. FAQs give you the chance to extol the benefits and features of your product without the hard sell.
- FAQs save time for your staff since they don’t have to keep answering the same questions repeatedly.
- The FAQs page provides an additional opportunity to include important keywords in a helpful way to maximize search engine optimization efforts. Boosting your search engine rankings makes it easier for people to find you.
How to make your FAQs page amazing
- Use logic when deciding on the order of the questions and answers.
Make sure you are addressing the topics customers request most frequently at the top of the page. Put similar questions together or use subheads if appropriate. This will keep the page from becoming too long and overwhelming your visitor. It also allows readers to easily scan the page to find the answers they seek.
- Make it timely and helpful.
If the questions never change and customers are still having the same problems with your product year after year, they will assume you’re not listening and not really fixing the issues. Remove old information and check to ensure any advice and instructions are current.
- Don’t limit yourself to only questions about your specific product or service.
You can also include questions and answers about your industry or subject matter. This can help you establish a position as a thought-leader in your area of expertise and build customer trust.
- Recognize that excellence is in the details.
Remember to include some type of contact information in case customers still can’t find the answers they’re looking for. Also, just like everywhere else on your site, don’t forget to incorporate a call to action. This can include talking to a customer service representative or asking the visitor to provide feedback on the effectiveness of your website.
- Hire a PR firm to help you.
Nothing will turn customers off faster than techno-gibberish and legal-speak when all they are looking for is a clear answer to a simple question. The content in your FAQs must be well-written with a positive tone. Trust a good PR agency to hit the right mark.
The experts at Axia Public Relations can help to make your FAQs page a smooth, organized online asset and a great reflection of your brand. In addition, we can work to make your entire website a cohesive and effective front door for your company. To learn more, contact us or download our free e-book Maximizing Your Public Relations Investment today.
Have you found creative ways to make your FAQs page more effective? Let us know in the comments section.
Lisa Goldsberry is a senior blogger for Axia Public Relations with more than 15 years of public relations experience. She specializes in business and technology PR. Lisa has worked for Axia since December 2013. Learn more about Lisa Goldsberry. Connect with Axia on Twitter @axiapr or tell us what you think in the comments below.
Featured image credit: 123rf.com