5 key attributes to look for when hiring a temporary spokespersonBy Yulia Dianova
December 5, 2016
Can an outsider represent your company?
Finding the right person to represent your company is not easy. Often, small-business owners can’t afford to have a spokesperson on their staff; so when an event or crisis occurs that requires a company spokesperson, they need to hire someone who can temporarily fulfill that important role. What attributes should you be looking for in your temporary spokesperson?
- Your spokesperson should have experience in your industry. Your ideal candidate for a temporary spokesperson should have an impressive track record and experience in your field. Only someone familiar with your niche can provide the best answers to the media and key stakeholders.
- Your spokesperson should have the ability to explain complex issues in a simple way. Your target audience may not necessarily have comprehensive knowledge about your industry. Therefore, your spokesperson should be able to explain things to your audience in the most uncomplicated and interesting way, breaking down jargon into straightforward and easy-to-digest information.
- Your spokesperson should be able to win the hearts of the media and other stakeholders. Expertise is often not enough to establish connections with your audience. You need someone with a magnetic personality who will easily engage your target audience – someone who instills confidence and trust.
- Your spokesperson should have genuine opinions and be passionate about your business. A great spokesperson will voice genuine opinions and not just act as a mouthpiece for your organization’s marketing messages. This, too, builds trust with the media and general public.
- Your spokesperson should be bold and fearless. A spokesperson is often required to fulfill his or her role during crises. It’s vital that your spokesperson be able to convey your company’s message against all criticism and negativity. The spokesperson should be able to speak without fear and lead at the most critical times.
Hiring a temporary spokesperson is a necessity for many businesses. If done properly, the right person can connect your company with media and target audiences, establishing your company as an authority in the field. Axia Public Relations can help you choose a spokesperson who will benefit your business and reputation. Download Axia’s online management guide to begin a plan of action for your business.
Yulia Dianova is a public relations professional who is skilled in building relationships with target audiences. She provides counsel to organizations that seek PR help to further their growth and reach their goals. Yulia earned a master’s degree in public relations management from University of Maryland University College. She is fluent in Russian and English and is always looking for a new challenge. Yulia has worked for Axia Public Relations since July 2015. Learn more about Yulia Dianova. Connect with Axia on Twitter @axiapr or tell us what you think in the comments below.
Featured image credit: 123rf.com
Topics: public relations, spokesperson training
Comment on This Article